Sunday, October 4, 2009

10/4/09

Writing in my blog has become one of the many things I do when I should be doing my homework. Wait, that's everything...

I have really bad homework habits. But you know what, I'm not going to deal with that right now. I actually started researching for a project today (that isn't due tomorrow) because it's about Lewis Carroll so it's actually interesting. I'm going to have to talk to my teacher about censorship though. Because Lewis Carroll was a very strange man. And... well, ok let me explain this first.

Part of this project is an oral presentation about whichever poet you chose. It has to be presented in the first person though, and I really don't know what to do. Because four of Lewis Carroll's diaries from vital years in his career are missing along with at least seven pages from his others. AND tons of accusations were made against him that are very likely true but that he always denied.

Examples of things he was accused of: Using LSD, being a paedophile (supported by at least six photographs of naked children taken by him) which includes but is not limited to him proposing to an eleven year old girl, among other things.

He also invented Scrabble. That's just awesome.

And all these things were wrong with them! I mean no one knows for sure because science back then wasn't what it is now, but he could have been epileptic considering he exhibited symptoms (asymmetrical face, stammering) that also existed in other members of his family (epilepsy is genetic). BUT some people think that he could have had temporal-lobe epilepsy, which means that instead of blacking out during his seizures he had these visions that were in some kind of wonderland (i.e. Alice in Wonderland).

He also may or may not have had a disease now known as Alice in Wonderland syndrome where he saw things disproportionately. For example he could have seen a dog to be the size of tea cup.

But no one really knows for sure. So how am I supposed to present a speech in the first person without saying, "People accused me of this this and this but I said no. No one knows if I was lying or not." It's stupid sounding!

Did you know Alice in Wonderland has more songs then any other Disney movie? I find that interesting. 15 songs total. I've never read the book version, which I hear is better then the movie. I would like to read it.... my birthdays on Friday. Hint. This volume of the book is especially nice.

Random transition...

I watched Alien last night with my friends. I don't want to go into detail, but my verdict is really good acting and it was really good overall, but I'm not a sci-fi person. I never will be. It bothers me how many unanswered questions there are. But my friends and I collectively decided to answer all the questions that come up like so:

Why aren't the floating around if they're in space?

It's sci-fi. Don't question it just accept it.

How are they smoking on the space shuttle without it blowing up?

It's sci-fi. Don't question it, just accept it.

Mom, Dad, why are you sending me away!?!?!

It's sci-fi. Don't question it, just accept it.

You get the point, we also derived from this movie that aliens respond better to kindness then force. It's the true moral of all alien movies.

And that volleyball is a damn good actor.

Sorry for the previous onslaught of inside jokes but I had a fun time. :) Birthday time!

Happy birthday to Anne Rice, Susan Sarandon, Alicia Silverstone, Phillip Glasser, and Kimmie Meissner!

Now I'm going to go pretend to be productive.

1 comment: