Sunday, July 17, 2011

Writing Fiction

The Spark Notes blog is holding a fiction contest, and the deadline is Monday morning. I decided to write a short story. It's really, really hard.

The only criteria is that the story has to be funny. It can be any type of humor "from subtle sarcasm to fart jokes." I'm going for subtle sarcasm, but I don't know if it's working. I'm not going to tell you guys what it's about, because it isn't a plot heavy story. They asked for stories to be around 1000 words, and I've already written around 600. I don't like the first 400 that much though. Agh this is really hard.

I think the problem is I started writing without an idea. I had a character in mind, and then I ran with it and started building a story and other characters. I'm not writing because I had a character and a story that I just needed to write down- I need to write something down so I just made up a character and a story.

Plus, I'm currently enduring the pandemic that is Post-Potter-Depression. Really, I look like a total mess right now. I can't function properly. I haven't even tried to distract myself, because everything is Harry Potter and everything hurts. My life is truly all down hill from here.

Ok, this isn't working. I'm not going to finish writing tonight anyway. I need to sleep or something.

Happy birthday to James Cagney, Phyllis Diller, and David Hasselhoff.

I'll try to post a more coherent post sometime soon. Chances are it will revolve around Harry Potter or the story I'm attempting at writing. More than likely Harry Potter.

No comments: