Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Picture's Worth a Thousand Words

I've always been mildly offensive by the phrase, "A picture is worth a thousand words." Speaking as someone who has absolutely no visual artistic capabilities and as someone who is confident enough in her writing abilities to publish them on this website, I've always felt like writers don't get enough credit because of this statement. Personally, I could tell a whole lot more by writing a thousand words (which in actuality isn't really that much) then I could by drawing a picture.

For example, if I wanted to do an a thousand word character sketch, I could tell you so much more about a person than I could by drawing him. Obviously this isn't the same for some people, but the saying is so famous and is treated like the ultimate truth.

So, I had an idea for an experiment. I would like to find an artist of the visual variety, and I think it would be really interesting if we tried to get the same message across, except I would have a limit of exactly 1,000 words and the artist would have to use 0 and just.... draw or something. It would be really interesting to see how we each interpret the subject and what other people get out of it. I don't know. I've been really ADD recently. It's hard to put my thoughts into words. (My brain right now: awtegrhtgrerghnggrfergtgbrfebg)

I'm sorry, I just felt like doing a spur of the moment post and this was on my mind and then this post happened. AGH.

No famous happy birthdays today, but I would like to say happy birthday to two very good friends. Today is both Vanni's (my friend who lives in Germany and I miss her very much) birthday and Nicki's (my friend who lives in the same city and I am going to see later) birthday. If either of you are reading this, I love you both VERY much and have wonderful, memorable birthdays.

I'll post something more coherent later. I haven't even proofread this.

No comments: