Sunday, July 11, 2010

7/11/10

One of the worst feelings in the world is forgetting something you really should know. For example, earlier this afternoon, as I was sitting with a few friends in a jacuzzi surrounded by bees, I forgot who wrote Three Theban Plays. I knew his name ended in "es," but that's the majority of Greek playwrights for you.

One of the best feelings in the world is remembering something you had previously forgotten. For example, earlier this evening, as I was listening to music, I recalled that Sophocles wrote Three Theban Plays.

*awkward transition to next topic*

Considering how many summer assignments I've been avoiding recently, I have had many opportunities to watch movies. And I've watched quite a few. But my two of my new favorites are Pretty in Pink and (500) Days of Summer.

Many of you probably already know that Pretty in Pink is the 1986 John Hughes classic starring Molly Ringwald, Jon Cryer, Andrew McCarthy, you know, the standard brat pack assortment. All of whom are fantastic. Even though Pretty in Pink was not my favorite 1980's coming of age hit, it's still a 1980's coming of age hit. The perms, vintage clothing, spontaneous dancing, and usage of bicycles are among my favorite quirks in this genre of film.

Then there's (500) Days of Summer. This movie was not like any other movie I have ever seen in my life. I rented it due to the fact that I am seeing She & Him (lead singer-Zooey Deschanel, one of the stars of (500) Days)) in concert, and because I had watched a Travel Channel special on Sundance, so I was in the mood for an independent film. Anyway, I am genuinely glad I chose to watch this movie. It was ridiculously funny and intelligent and unique and if I wasn't in the mood for a Judy Garland movie I wouldn't return it to Netflix right now. In short, this movie was really good. Go watch it.

Well, I guess I should be getting to sleep. I'm going to see fireworks tomorrow night because my city is a week behind the rest of the United States. It's a Pacific Standard Time thing.

No comments: