Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Clock Dilemma

Clocks are difficult. For you see, no clock can be perfect for both form and function. It's impossible. Why, you ask? Well, let's examine the pros and cons of analog and digital clocks.

Analog clocks are obviously prettier and more old-fashioned. And contrary to popular belief, easy to read. One time in my English class, we had a brief discussion about how none of us would befriend someone who couldn't read an analog clock. That will give you an idea of the kind of people in my English class. Anyway, the only problem with analog clocks (and it's a huge problem) is they tick. I can't sleep in the same room as an analog clock. Once I tried to take the batteries out of one, but I accidentally broke it. So I just took to moving all the alarm clocks out of my earshot, but I would have to wake up in morning to move them back to where they belonged so my mom wouldn't get mad at me.

In my room I have on digital clock. Well actually, I think I broke it because I can't figure out how to fix it, but in theory, I have on digital, clock radio, iHome. And I love it. It's easy to set and it plays my music. And it doesn't tick. However, it's ugly. I mean, it's not an eyesore but it isn't pretty like analog clocks are. Clocks suck. Nowadays everyone just uses their cellphone anyway.

Which brings me to my next point- watches. I love watches. I have to wear one everyday or I feel practically naked. And I always wear it on my left wrist, because I am right-handed and if I wear a watch on my right hand then my wrist will hurt when I'm writing. I can't tolerate more then small bracelets on my right hand. And I can wear analog watches because they're so small that you can only hear the ticking if you hold it up to your ear.

So, to conclude, clocks are stupid and watches are awesome. And clocks in classrooms are usually wrong. Well, the one's at my high school aren't too bad but the middle school clocks were simply disastrous. As they always say, "It's five o'clock somewhere!"

Happy birthday to Daniel Bernoulli (Bernoulli's principle is one of the only things I remember from 8th grade Physics... that and Newton's laws), Jules Verne, Dmitri Mendeleev, Jack Lemmon, James Dean, John Williams, Nick Nolte, Gary Coleman, Seth Green, and Bethany Hamilton.

I really need to finish (and by that I mean start) reading Anatomy of a Revolution. The historian who wrote it is named Crane Brinton. Honestly, if you name you son Crane he is destined to be a boring old fart.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i'm your biggest fan.