Sunday, January 9, 2011

Facebook Narcissism

Facebook is a narcissistic institution. There is no way around that statement. However, I have an internal set of rules in my mind, collaborated from endless Facebook stalking, that have set limits in a way on what is a normal human want for attention and what is complete and utter self-involvement. And I broached one of my laws today. I posted more than one Facebook status.

I didn't mean too! I forgot about the one I posted earlier, and inspiration (and by inspiration, I mean one of my friends said something stupid) struck and I had to post. Now I can't delete either of them, because people liked them and stuff... I'll try not to do it again, I promise.

Aside from my status posting guideline, there are also guidelines on what to post as your status. The WORST thing you can possibly do are passive-aggressive statuses.
Example: beecuz of u i will nevr b the same
I have reason to believe that the person this status is directed at probably doesn't know, nor care, that it is about them. The only thing worse then this is passive-aggressive song lyric statuses.
Example: can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? i could really use a wish right now...
Can I just say that I didn't know that was a song for a REALLY long time and I did not understand why everyone had the same status? I've only done song lyric statuses twice in my entire Facebook existence, and they were both from musicals and humorous, so I felt like I had a good excuse. But nowadays I know that there are no excuses for song lyric statuses, because they annoy the crap out of everyone who doesn't know what song they are from.

Another sure-fire sign of Facebook narcissism is too many profile pictures. I think that one is self-explanatory. I have about 40 profile pictures, and I think that's appropriate. I've seen people with close to 200, and I find that just completely self-involved and unnecessary. HOWEVER, the more profile pictures have the more fun the person is to stalk. Just saying.

I also get annoyed when people like too many things. And this blog entry just got really boring.

Happy birthday to Richard Nixon, Imelda Staunton, Chad Ochocinco, Kate Middleton, and Nina Dobrev. Ha, the order of nationalities in that sentence is American, British, American, British, Canadian... I'm amused.

No comments: