Sunday, April 24, 2011

I've Got Gadgets and Gizmos Aplenty

I don't really like technology. I break it a lot and I have trouble figuring out how to use it. However, it has occurred to me that my self-proclaimed status as a 20th century girl and a hater of technological innovation keeps becoming, well... not accurate. Even though I still don't really know how to use anything, I keep coming into the ownership of technologically advanced things.

First of all, a couple weeks ago my mom literally forced me to stop using my perfectly acceptable LG Vu that I had been using for two and a half years. It did everything I needed it to, it called people, it texted people, I could take pictures, etc. However, occasionally it didn't like turning on. So my mom dragged me into the Verizon Wireless store, and I reluctantly decided to get a Droid. And a Droid is basically an iPhone, but different, so people have to ask me what kind of phone I have instead of just grabbing it and saying, "LOOK! iPhone! I play with it now!" However, I don't use many of the smart phone features of it. I go on the internet in absolute emergencies (example: argument with my dad over whether Alan Menken or Marc Shaiman arranged the music for Sister Act [answer: Shaiman arranged the movie, Menken arranged the Broadway show]) , and I do enjoy the app Words with Friends. I did LOVE Angry Birds, but I got stuck on level fifteen of part three in the first world (Poached Eggs) and I got sick of the game. So now I just call and text people and take pictures. The only difference between my Droid and my Vu is that I play Words with Friends. Oh well.

Then I have all my other devices that do things my brand new Droid can do but in a different fashion that I like better. I have my 2007 Project(red) 8 GB iPod nano. Julia got it for me for my bat mitzvah (which took place...three and a half years ago) and has about .8 GB left. But, all my music is in one little red box and my whole music library is on my family's desktop because I can't figure out how to move audio files onto an iTunes account on a different computer (my laptop, which I have had for nearly two years now). Additionally, I have my digital camera. I don't really remember when I got that, considering how many I've gone through, but I could probably find a blog entry where I talk about it. I think I'm going to go scan my blog for that. Okay, I'm done with that. I think I got it about two and a half years ago. Ish. So, I have a cell phone that is capable of surfing the internet, playing music, and taking pictures, but I still manage to find reasons to use my laptop, iPod, and digital camera.

But it gets better. Last night (technically this morning) after I passed my Driver's Ed final exam (YES! LEARNER'S PERMIT, HERE I COME!), I decided I was in the mood for an impulse buy. A couple months ago, I came into some money. And I still had some of that money left. So, after finding out that Flip Camera had decided to self-terminate due to the fact that people have video cameras on their cellphones and they don't want a separate device for taking videos, I thought to myself, "Omigosh, I have a cellphone but I LOVE having separate devices for doing things my cellphone is perfectly capable of." So I kind of bought, for a really good price, one of the last Flip cameras left. So, in three to five business days, I will have four electronic devices that do things that my cellphone does.

TO CONCLUDE, my non-tech savvy self is the owner of four, soon to be five, electronic devices (six if you count my TV that doesn't have cable) and an active user of eight websites (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, YouTube, Blogger, SparkNotes, AIM, Skype), and I have not finished my term paper. Not even close.

AND if you are worried about my website usage, Facebook is usually open in case one of my friends comes online. Usually it is just there, on my computer screen, unused. The same goes for Twitter, Tumblr, AIM, and Skype. The problem only occurs when my friends are online, but since they all have more important things to do then talk to me, it isn't usually a problem. UNLESS we are all procrastinating on the same assignment. Then it's a problem. SparkNotes and Blogger I check, deal with, and then sign off from. So even though I actively participate in all seven of those websites, it really isn't that time consuming. Currently, YouTube is the worst because the vlogbrothers have over 800 videos, and I haven't seen all of them yet. BUT due to the fact that I am a woman and can multi-task, I usually just have YouTube on in the background while I do something else mildly important. I rarely focus on YouTube. Netflix, however, is something I give my undivided attention too.

And then there's reading. And although reading recreationally isn't always the best use of my time, I don't feel bad about it because reading is good for you, and more people should try it.

Happy birthday to William I of Orange (who says I haven't been studying for Euro? This guy and his wife took over England after Cromwell got executed. And I'm pretty sure he was Dutch. Yeah?), Shirley MacLaine, Barbara Streisand (*bows down in a similar fashion I did to Shakespeare*), Jean-Paul Gaultier, Cedric the Entertainer, and Kelly Clarkson. I hope your days were more productive then mine.

P.S. I have school in exactly nine hours. *HEADDESK*

P.P.S. The answer to yesterday's joke: "Out, out, brief candle." LAWLZ IT'S SO FUNNEH!


No comments: